Tuesday, August 22, 2006

 

Sector Spotlight: Energy

It appears Tropical Storm Debby will be official by tonight, as a result investors are piling into hurricane/energy plays.

However, being an avid follower of weather patterns, I suggest not "betting" on any storm hitting the Gulf over the next week. The projected path of Debby will land the storm dead smack in the middle of the Atlantic-- nowhere near an oil rig.

Nonetheless, certain energy related stocks are heating up.

Here is my list:

HOKU +33%
MGPI +14.3%
BTJ +14%
DPTR +10%
TXCO +8%
PEIX +6.5%
DBLE +3.9%
DK +3.4%
GMXR +3.3%
FTO +3.2%
GSX +3%
ARD +2.8%
PTR +2.5%

Bottom line:
The sector looks good for a trade.

Comments:
u can call that one a hurricae headfake too. I almost shorted MGPI but realized that there are a lot of idiots who will drive these stocks higher even if no hurricane hits (except BTJ is likely up on good earnings report). I'll wait for the hurricane to die down (keep us posted!) then I'll short there... this way I profit off greedy people and not on destruction.
 
Yo 'A' maybe u can help me out... I'm trying to figure out why XMSR would rise 20% today on one analyst upgrade. This company's management is crap, burns cash, and can't make a profit (reminds me of Amazon). 39 million shares short last month- is that enough to do the job? Cramer pump? or take over rumors?

I used to own shares but I sold them when they signed Oprah. kiss of death.

thanks -GIo
 
While I am away, you can check http://www.wunderground.com/blog/index.html?range=updated
for real time hurricane updates. Usually, the commentators know their stuff.

And,regarding XM: Major Upgrade+Big Short Position= Short Squeeze.

Classic.

That is why I am buying PALM.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

 Subscribe in a reader

DISCLAIMER: This is a personal web site, reflecting the opinions of its author. It is not a production of my employer, and it is unaffiliated with any FINRA broker/dealer. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of anyone other than myself. The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only, and are not investing recommendations. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities.