Monday, August 14, 2006

 

Sector Spotlight: Semiconductors

I knew I should have bought RMBS this morning, under $10.50.

Damn.

Anyway, the SOX has emerged as today's leadership group, up better than 2%.

Even though the sector has been torn to pieces, I can't find it in myself to buy them, when already up 2%+. I have zero confidence in the sector, considering the weakening fundamentals and the fact that they are rich with option backdating scandals.

However, I recognize their importance as annointed leader of the technology sector-- even though I wish nothing but bad things for ATHR and BRCM.

Bottom line: These stocks have the look and feel of a short covering rally-- instead of institutional sponsorship. I would not buy into today's spike.

Anyway, the following stocks seems to have some mojo:

RMBS +7.9%
EMKR +7.6%
CHRT +7.6%
SSTI +7.1%
ANAD +6.2%
COHU +5.6%
VSEA +5.5%
SPIL +4.8%
ASTSF +4.5%
ISIL +4.5%
MSCC +4.3%
SPSN +4.2%

Comments:
Made my target on ATHR by 9:35 and out. Hope you make yours.
 
Good work John-

The best of all worlds: we all make money ;)

ATHR could run another day. Unless it spikes above $17 today, I will not add to my short position.

However, if it breaks $16.50, I will likely pile on-- in an effort to show red.
 
Will do Mick-

Good call on the oils.

My sole oil position is CEO-- up today.

I do think the sector will sell off-- near term.
 
...sell way WAY to FAST - not so - you must always sell when you feel the need to sell - a small profit is still a profit. There's always the next one.

My motto - win, lose or draw - no tears.
 
Would you also say the drillers are to be avoided? How about Nat Gas. plays?
 
Avoid nat gas like the plague--until a Hurricane appears.

However, a tropical storm may appear tomorrow-- so keep a close eye on it.

Drillers should be bought on dips.

Bottom line: Just don't go in with guns ablazed.

Keep in mind-- September is usually a God awful trading month.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

 Subscribe in a reader

DISCLAIMER: This is a personal web site, reflecting the opinions of its author. It is not a production of my employer, and it is unaffiliated with any FINRA broker/dealer. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of anyone other than myself. The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only, and are not investing recommendations. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities.