Friday, August 18, 2006

 

Sector Spotlight: Semiconductors

The market is digesting this week's gains, while MRVL is vomiting them up. Those numbers from MRVL were God awful and it reminds me that I used to hate semiconductor stocks-- until three days ago when greed infected my brain and I COVERED ALL MY SHORTS. Stupid!

Seriously, investing in the semi's is like doing a deal with the devil. You know they can bring you wonderful returns in a very short period of time, but, ultimately your portfolio will be spinning in hell on the MRVL rotisserie.

With that being said, I am changing my position on the SOX, for now. Until greed infects my brain, I will likely shun the sector and curse its components out every time I see them on my monitor.

On the bright side, the overall market doesn't look half bad. We have early gains in AAPL, HPQ and MOT.

Its going to be a slow, uneventful day. Go to the beach.

The following semiconductor stocks will be hated by Broker A indefinitely:

ATHR -7.9%
MRVL -7.3%
AMKR -5.2%
SLAB -3.5%

UPDATE:
I still like small cap, beaten down semi's, like CMOS, TXCC and CNXT. I just wanted to clarify my position.

Comments:
one can buy AMD - it's on a dollar-off sale in sympathy with Dell, and as a free bonus, it's easy to hate - the ugly sister that does well in the world. I think it'll trend up the next few weeks.
 
i like your site and just started mine! Take a look at LOW today tell me what you think
 
I don't want to get in the way of a Intel-Amd price war.

And, the OIH is like walking on mine field right now.

I'd rather continue to inflict pain on myself, buying PALM.
 
DRQ is a great company.

Good luck.
 
Couldn't agree more on your list of nevers - I have all but SLAB on my white board under a heading that says "Never" (although I do break that vow every now and then - but I never hold them beyond a dime loss or a 50 cent gain).

I can't buy a stock named "SLAB" - that's almost as bad as one that they might name "LOSR".
 
I call SLAB "slob."
 
I know how u feel about the SOX stocks. I covered ATHR yesterday. But a mild correction in the SOX seemed very likely. looking back, the correction only lasted the first few hours of the day. But at least we now know which stocks are the real deal... look at the recovery of BRCM and NETL! Meanwhile ATHR stunk the whole day.

I'm on the hunt for more crappy tech stocks that bounced this week, u know, stocks like MRVL and ATHR.
 
"...ultimately your portfolio will be spinning in hell on the MRVL rotisserie."

You do have a way with words that I admire.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

 Subscribe in a reader

DISCLAIMER: This is a personal web site, reflecting the opinions of its author. It is not a production of my employer, and it is unaffiliated with any FINRA broker/dealer. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of anyone other than myself. The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only, and are not investing recommendations. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities.