Monday, September 11, 2006

 

Oil Down= Strength in Retail

Does that make sense?

I suppose from a pure mathematical perspective, people will have more money to spend with lower prices at the pump. But, speaking from experience, I never get motivated to go buy my wife a Coach bag, because the fuckers at Exxon decide to charge me $2.75 a gallon, instead of $3.25.

Do you?

Right now, the retail index is up 1.85% for the day.

Stocks like BBY, UARM, ZUMZ and BBBY are off to the races.

It doesn't make any sense to me. Sorry.

NOTE: Despite the surge in the SOX today, SIRF and RACK are down. Perhaps the stock God's are shining on me again?

NOTE II: So far, according to the new "Fly Survey," 76% of you are bearish.

Comments:
Retail moving up? BBY reports tomorrow. Perhaps up in sympathy. I want to do an options stranggle with options expiring this Friday.

Does oil down = tech up make sense? Maybe, if you think money flows out of energy and in to tech. But I would think investors would move to cash first.
 
While I get what you're saying, your analogy between the Coach bag and gasoline isn't quite right. Coach is a luxury so some people will never buy one, even if gas goes down to 60 cents a gallon. OTOH, maybe if gas goes down, some people will be inspired to eat at restaurants instead of at home, or maybe splurge on either more of or a higher quality of necessity.
 
RTG:

I made that comment tongue in cheek.

However, I do agree with people buying an extra soda pop at the Pantry, while saving 5 bucks on their gas.

Hence, PTRY is going thru the roof.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

 Subscribe in a reader

DISCLAIMER: This is a personal web site, reflecting the opinions of its author. It is not a production of my employer, and it is unaffiliated with any FINRA broker/dealer. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of anyone other than myself. The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only, and are not investing recommendations. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities.