Monday, September 11, 2006

 

Sector Spotlight: Energy

Today, the markets appear to be rolling over. Also, the energy sector is now crashing through the floor (-2.5%).

This is not good.

I know many of you feel lower oil prices are good for the overall market, since the consumer will have more money to spend on Timmy's Christmas presents. However, I disagree.

Over the past 2-3 years, Wall Street has gotten rich off oil. As a result, Mutual funds, Hedge Funds and the individual investor overweighted energy; now, they are left holding the bag.

Trust me when I say, many people out there are hurting in a BIG way, as stocks like SU, GMXR and VLO get fucking raped.

I feel the markets will not recover from the breakdown in energy, unless a new sector takes the leadership position. Furthermore, even if that happens, it will not occur overnight.

Bottom line: The markets will likely see lower prices.

NOTE: The semi's. led by FSL, are trying to make a stand here, +.8%. I can't buy into the semi silliness. I will be increasing my short in SIRF.

NOTE II: Please take the new "Fly Survey" on the left hand side of the page. Are you bullish or bearish?

The following stocks have absolutely no mojo:

MIND -12.4%
BMD -12.1%
PDRT -10.4%
BQI -9.5%
NGS -8.9%
DK -8.4%
PLLL -7.9%
GDP -7.9%
ALJ -7.5%
DRQ -7.5%
SU -6%
NGAS -7.1%

Comments:
I noticed the energy thing too. Have you noticed the metal stocks? Gold and silver is down hard today. Gold under $600, silver almost under $11.

Not a good sign. Voted "bearish".

You shorting energy or gold? I'm shorting ethanol.
 
The metals are going down at an appalling rate.

I will not short oil, too volatile.
 
Contrarian play:

My new poll is already 8 bearish - ZERO bulls.

Just two weeks ago, 62% of my readers were bullish.

Head scratcher.
 
I think it's because the market was down today at that point, and your post was already bearish. Market is actually doing okay- it's just oil/energy and metals that stink right now.


...Dow almost green?! That was fast.
 
I would have voted, but I'm neither bullish or bearish.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

 Subscribe in a reader

DISCLAIMER: This is a personal web site, reflecting the opinions of its author. It is not a production of my employer, and it is unaffiliated with any FINRA broker/dealer. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of anyone other than myself. The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only, and are not investing recommendations. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities.