Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 

Sector Spotlight: Semiconductors

Wow, those were great numbers. The biggest drop in core inflation in 13 years. Good job Bernanke.

After seeing those numbers, I thought for sure the market would be up 100+. Instead, we are up only 2 and weakening. Huh?

I suppose the buy on rumor-sell on news logic applies. Nonetheless, the U.S. economy seems to have ridden itself of the inflation bug. A big plus for the bulls.

As for the Semi's:

They came out the gates charging, but now look tired. After being up so much yesterday, I anticipate a mild selloff. One pocket of strength worth noting is recent laggard SNDK. However, the general picture in the group looks bearish today.

The following Semi's have mojo:

ATE +3.6%
MOSY +3.2%
UCTT +2.3%
SPIL +2.3%
SIRF +1.9%

Comments:
Maybe the market already "priced in" the good inflation numbers. We now have "profit taking."

Or, another possibility: nobody BELIEVES the government numbers. Market trades down on uncertainty.
 
Hey, why would anyone "doubt" Government data?

However, I do agree. It looks like "profit taking" is here, for about 2 hours.

Then the "dip buyers" will buy it all back.
 
broker a, I love the way you rain down curses on the dip buyers and in the next breath announce that you will be buying RIMM anbd ACLI on dips!
 
"broker a, I love the way you rain down curses on the dip buyers and in the next breath announce that you will be buying RIMM anbd ACLI on dips!"

Fuck. Did I say that? I meant to say, I will instruct my trader to buy it on a dip. Effectively, taking myself out of the dip buying equation.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

 Subscribe in a reader

DISCLAIMER: This is a personal web site, reflecting the opinions of its author. It is not a production of my employer, and it is unaffiliated with any FINRA broker/dealer. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of anyone other than myself. The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only, and are not investing recommendations. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities.