Wednesday, December 20, 2006

 

Closing Comments

Another lackluster day for the markets, as all major indices drifted lower-- on light volume.

After the close, it appears JBL and PMCS missed numbers. I sense many "traders" are attempting to time the top again and feel the market is ripe to roll over. I would caution anyone who has this in mind, and suggest to keep a very short leash on open short positions.

There is nothing that tells me the market is running "out of steam." Furthermore, as a bull, I believe any minor dip should be met with loud, obnoxious buy orders to his servant/trader.

Speaking of servants. I have no idea what to buy him for Christmas. Should I buy him a traditional black and white butlers uniform, to replace his dreadful Jos. A. Bank casual wear?

Or, maybe I should buy him a fucking hearing aid-- so that he responds to my buy orders with greater alacrity? Got that trader?

Good.

As for today's trading:

I was impressed with the action in tech, especially Internet and Networking stocks. However, I am afraid some of the more speculative names, like MAMA, are getting ahead of themselves and may poleax the top tickers-- sometime very soon.

All in all, it was a good consolidation day. I was pleased with the action in MVIS and HANS. And, I am excited that VLO dropped more than a buck. I feel the sellers in that name are making a mistake. I will be buying more VLO.

Finally, I feel the Software sector needs to be bought. Within that group, I like ADBE, CTSH, KNXA, SNPS, SYMC and BMC.

Comments:
I own both VLO and MVIS, but you are just way too gung-ho on tech! Everybody and his grandmother is already on the bullish wagon. I'd be taking profits.

Besides that, great blog. I really appreciate the time and effort.
 
"Everybody and his grandmother is already on the bullish wagon."

Not true.

Read this for proof.

http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=20238&hed=Is+2007+the+Year+of+Tech%3F§or=Capital&subsector=PublicMarkets

Paul Wick, manager of Seligmans Comm A fund:

Q: Are small investors getting reacquainted with the technology sector?



PW: Individual investors and retail stockbrokers are continuing to yank money out of technology investments. We can vouch for that. From 2001 to this year we’ve had $400 million to $700 million in net redemptions every year out of our flagship tech fund, the Communications and Information Fund. It’s actually started to get better, but those are big numbers. A lot of our competitors have had worse redemptions as a percentage of their assets on an annual basis. Think of it as someone on a treadmill running really, really hard to stay in place. That’s where we are with our technology mutual fund.



Q: So individual investors aren’t yet coming back to technology?



PW: They haven’t yet. Maybe next year. 2002 was a horrible year for technology mutual funds. If 2007 is a decent year or even a flat year, the five-year numbers for technology sector funds will improve significantly. Retail investors are rear-view mirror investors. And their stockbrokers aren’t any better.
 
Please elaborate on why you like SYMC?

Go MVIS and HANS
 
Great trend, getting stonger. Internet security is on fire and it will be red hot in 2007.
 
How can trannies and industrial commodities rolling over pretty fast be bullish?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

 Subscribe in a reader

DISCLAIMER: This is a personal web site, reflecting the opinions of its author. It is not a production of my employer, and it is unaffiliated with any FINRA broker/dealer. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of anyone other than myself. The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only, and are not investing recommendations. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities.