Thursday, January 25, 2007

 

Sector Spotlight: Semiconductors

One of my longshot tech holdings, NETL, is gapping higher today-- after reporting good earnings. Additionally, earnings reports from LMT, EBAY, TRID and QCOM are causing their shares to rise-- especially EBAY and TRID.

My point: Earnings season has been very good, so far. The catalyst to sell stocks is just not compelling.

Aside from stocks being up, why in the world should I sell my stocks? Wait, don't answer, it's because the housing bubble and how much less money I have to buy stuff, right?

Well, I have never taken equity out of my house, despite it doubling in value over the last 4 years. Moreover, my new obnoxious spending habits is driven by my fucking brilliant stocks gains.

Bottom line: The appreciation in equities, worldwide, is more than making up for the housing slowdown. Keep in mind, as 401k's increase in value, people can borrow against it-- instead of getting jerked around by some mortgage broker.

Aside from that, I really like the action in the Semi's. Being the most heavily shorted sector, I feel they are due for a major run here- as quarterly earnings subdue the asshat shortseller.

Furthermore, following the great CTXS quarter, the Software sector looks ripe for trade too. There I like ARBA, DRIV, ADBE and SMSI.

The following Semi's have mojo:

TRID +15.7%
NETL +12%
IBIS +8.3%
ISIL +6.8%
DIOD +6.3%
BRCM +5.4%
NSM +4.5%

Comments:
Gold and silver stocks looking crappy.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

 Subscribe in a reader

DISCLAIMER: This is a personal web site, reflecting the opinions of its author. It is not a production of my employer, and it is unaffiliated with any FINRA broker/dealer. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of anyone other than myself. The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only, and are not investing recommendations. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities.