Saturday, May 12, 2007

 

Weekend Blogger Book Review, Part II

When I asked Broker what the ingredients of a great trader were, I was a bit surprised by his answer. In his response, "The Fly" noted that he had more faith in fundamental analysis than in technical analysis-- but that wasn't terribly surprising. We already know that Broker's approach is largely based on the identification and prediction of the kinds of macroeconomic trends that are likely to benefit the stocks of quality companies. As such, it should also come as no surprise that he considers conference calls and the anecdotal evidence that we gather as consumers to be of great importance. But I was surprised by the idea that books weren't enormously helpful in his own journey to become a great trader. (Usually, you can ask any trader what their favorite books are, and they'll be more than happy to fire off a long list.) Despite this, he was able to offer me one suggestion: that I should "read Dan Reingold's new book [Confessions of a Wall Street Analyst] to see how Wall Street really works."

I was a bit surprised that he recommended a book about corruption on Wall Street, since I was probing for something a little more along the lines of "How to Make Money Hand Over Fist." Nevertheless, I thought that the book would be a good read if only for its account of the professional life of a sell-side analyst and its unique perspective on the tech (or in this case, telecom) bubble. In fact, this book report was going to briefly summarize and then explore those accounts. However, after spending some time writing this report and letting the book fully digest, I now believe that the real take-away from it lies in the fact that it forces us to think about a reality that is both emotionally difficult for individual investors to honestly confront and also profoundly important-- the idea that the average investor is hopelessly disadvantaged.

Having read both Liar's Poker and Den of Thieves in the past few months, I knew that Reingold's book would probably conclude with a warning to the individual investor, something like, "Wall Street is completely corrupt, and the only people that are making any money are the insiders who are trading on the kind of material, non-public information that small dicks like you won't get until it's too late." Sure enough, Broker went on to comment that "the sad truth is, the average investor is at an extreme disadvantage to the big dogs. Valuable information is passed along everyday, while Joe Schmo on Fast Money recommends YHOO before earnings."

Now that I've had some time to reflect on that message, I think I'm starting to appreciate the gravity of that statement (a statement that, given how discouraging it is, most of us -- myself included -- would like to simply "put on the shelf"). Now, it certainly is true that the pikers out there love to use the corruption on Wall Street as an excuse for their losses in the market. You know the people I'm talking about-- the ones who blame their stupid trades on the effects of insider trading, dishonest accounting, or "the unlawful and evil manipulation of the market by hedge fund managers." You've surely heard those excuses before, and you probably just wrote them off as huge exaggerations of the real impact that those things have. After all, how often do they really come into play? Admittedly, they probably do cause the unwashed to lose money every now and then, making the playing field at least somewhat uneven; but at the end of the day, the field is still even enough to play on, isn't it?

Honestly, I'm not sure. Even I'm beginning to doubt whether I could ever crush the averages year after year as "The Fly" does (and I'm neck and neck with the S&P, so I don't really have any reason to be as bitter and cynical as the pikers are). Don't get me wrong -- I'm sure that there are a few retail investors who do really well...but how many of them are there? Looking around at all of the other blogs, it's evident that even with a lot of effort, most of the average investors out there (of which Fly on WallStreet's reader base is largely composed) aren't making the cut. So let's call a spade a spade: how many of you can honestly claim that you've done anywhere near as well as Broker has over the past few years? How many of you can even claim that you're doing as well as he is this year? I'll be the first to admit that I don't even come close in either case. That being so, I think that we might benefit from taking a good, long look at what our realistic potential as retail investors might be (and how we might achieve that potential).

In the next part of the article, I'll try to expand on the topic and explain why I'm optimistic that the average investor can be successful in the market. Until then, I hope that everyone will offer their own opinion on these matters. Where do you stand on the individual investor's potential to succeed (as opposed to the potential of a well-connected professional money manager)? What have you found that works on Wall Street? To what extent is the average investor disadvantaged?

"More on this later-- I'm busy playing Counter-Strike."



Comments:
This is a good post. Real food for thought, thanks. All I can add is that I'm barely beating the market in '07 which is a little disappointing when you consider the bullish bias the market has enjoyed.
 
Thanks-- I really appreciate it.

Considering that you trade with a short bias, barely beating the market (which has, as you said, been very bullish) isn't too bad though, right? After all, your're probably doing way better than your bearish brothers...
 
Spelltard enforcer has checked through this material and it is free of any errors.
Nice post too.
 
I haven't been trading short at all since February, my blog is a bit of a misnomer.

Doggy, there is one spelling error, "fundmantal" in the first paragraph. It's not in any dictionary that I use.
 
I don't see that-- it must be a glitch in the Internets or something. Are you using Windows?
 
Good post. As for me, I don't try to beat everyone else out there (especially not our benevolent dictator Fly here). But I'm also not a trader, I'm an investor, so I don't try to put myself up against traders. I just try and do a couple of points better than the S&P - which I am matching right now (I was under performing at this point last year before coming out ahead by 3%).
 
Thanks. Yeah, the S&P is my benchmark too-- even though I'm a trader. You're probably right in measuring your own success in terms of how the market is doing (as opposed to how other people in the market are doing).
 
Good Post. It had some value. For long term investing, you should not even be comparing your result with the S&P. Only losers do that. Most investors, if you can really call them that, do not put any time or thought into what they are doing. They are ignorant on what to do. They simply buy their mutual funds or certain stocks for their 401K or IRA and believe they will be fine when they retire. It is all about “what” and “when” you buy.
 
broker a,
why did the largest holder david m. knott bail out the position. Is he in for only small profit?
 
Where're the charts???
 
hey fly,
I thought you were gonna have an update on MVIS? did you change your mind????? Us Internet Leeches and illegal mexicans demand an answer.
 
Jeremy--

Once again, I enjoy reading your posts. You know how to keep the reader or me interested.

Looking forward to part three.
 
"broker a,
why did the largest holder david m. knott bail out the position. Is he in for only small profit?"

Update on MVIS still pending.

Also, regarding Knott, his sell was offset with a buy, from a new fund.

Long story short, Knott may be trying to go more large cap with his holdings, no big deal.

However, I know for a fact that his camp is very bullish on MVIS and have very high internal price targets.
 
Dr."J" Nice writin and good readin.

The average investor is hopeless. The idea if getting rich quick is the oldest and most enduring hustle of all time. It's the notion that Joe "Scott Trader" Blow can turn $5 grand into 25 in a few months or few weeks.

Couple of good quotes:
"If you can count your money you don't have a billion dollars" -some rich fucker.

If you take time in terms of money--1 million equals 11 days-- 1 billion equals 33 years. - some rich fucker.
 
Jeremy, I have had double digit returns for the last three years. For some reason, to be exact with what they have been seems fucktarded, but the least I've returned is 17%.

This year I'm up maybe 2%. Why the low returns this year? I have my suspicions, but that is too much to go into here.

There is a four letter word that every trader/investor needs to consider, and that is LUCK. It is entirely possible that a fund manager with 10 years of double digit returns has only been lucky. If you look at 5 years of good returns, there is even a greater chance that the individual was simply lucky. If you want to consider it from a stats and probabilities perspective, it is only the investors/traders with 25-30 years of data under their belts that can say with any certainty whether their performance was due to skill or luck. If you doubt me, there are some simple hypotheticals we can run to illustrate the principle.

This is my fourth year of full-time trading, so it is entirely possible that my great returns in previous years have only been due to luck.

Those of you who follow a person, newsletter, system, etc. with only a few years of data to back up the results will not know until it is too late whether they succeeded previously due to luck or skill.

P.S. "Confessions" is great book. I was enraptured by it and read it in 2 days.
 
Mrkcbill--

Interesting point/good quotes. I would agree that the people who think that they can turn a couple of bucks into an empire using the stock market for a couple of weeks are idiots.

But how should we perceive the investor/trader with more modest goals? Do you (or does anyone else) think that the people aspiring to achieve returns comparable to Broker's are being unrealistic? "The Fly" seems to indicate that the odds are against them, but that their goals aren't obviously stupid (or at least not as stupid as expectations of the type of trader that you pointed out in your post).

Thanks.
 
Thanks broker a.
kd
 
Woodshedder--

First off, thanks for your comments. Second, congrats on your success in the markets thus far.

I also agree that the role of luck is undoubtedly a significant one-- particularly when the data set is small (as you pointed out).

The only thing that I would add--and this is just a small point--is that, instead of using the number of years that someone has been in the markets as a measure of luck's influence on their results, I would use a system that combines both the number of trades executed and a benchmark. The reason for using "# of trades": If somebody made only a few trades over a 30-year time frame, they still could have been lucky. The loyal employee of a company that happened to have a good stock (who bought shares out of their familiarity with the company, as opposed to "Street smarts") might be a good example.

In the same sense, I wouldn't automatically dismiss someone's results as luck simply because their record was short (to a point, say two or three years). If that person was making 25 trades per week (with a relatively even weighting throughout their portfolio) and still managed to significantly outperform their benchmark, then there could be a good chance that they really know something.
 
There's got to be a big difference between "running money" and sitting on a pleather chair pressing enter.

I think diversification is the only hope for the average Joe. All the DD in the world can't overcome Tornados Hurricanes,Drought,Terrorism,Corrupt Management. You can't fool mother nature or mother market. So Happy Mothers Day

Gotta go to work.
 
Jeremy, I agree that it is important to distinguish between the retail and professional trader/fund mgr. when considering the influence of luck. It is also important to consider the number of trades made.

However, the span of time over which those trades were made, coupled with the frequency is most important. If someone makes 1,000 trades in a year, and makes 20% that year, that statistic can not be nearly as robust compared to someone making 1,000 trades over 20 years and averaging 20%/year. While the number of trades will decrease the influence of luck, it is the span of time that is the key factor. Only time will minimize market, investor, and strategy biases.

For example, consider the trader who makes 1000 trades in a year and makes 20% that year. What if that trader exclusively uses 8% stops, and the market year is characterized by low volatility? He or she will certainly be more successful than during a previous or following year where the market is extremely volatile, hitting the 8% stops consistently.

Also, as stated before, frequency is important, but consider the trader who slows down on frequency because the market conditions are less than ideal for his style or strategy? Should his performance be considered more "lucky" because he traded less, or is his realization of adverse market conditions more an indication of greater skill?

Good stuff. I hope The Fly will chime in here with some serious insight into these issues.
 
"Good stuff. I hope The Fly will chime in here with some serious insight into these issues."

^That's the jackpot.
 
I imagine The Fly is getting "cup checked" while actively managing a rambunctious group of tricycle motors.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

 Subscribe in a reader

DISCLAIMER: This is a personal web site, reflecting the opinions of its author. It is not a production of my employer, and it is unaffiliated with any FINRA broker/dealer. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of anyone other than myself. The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only, and are not investing recommendations. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities.