Tuesday, June 19, 2007

 

Sector Spotlight: Retail

This happens from time to time. You know, get all cocky, due to stock market success, then get punched in the nose by Mother Market. Going into BBY's numbers, I felt their was $2 of downside, and $5 up. Now that it has breached my downside limit, I am out.

The stock is dead money, at best, until next quarter.

Now, LNN is set to report tomorrow. Will "The Fly" get "machine gunned" again? Could it happen two days in a row?

Tune in tomorrow, goat lovers, for another exciting earnings adventure.

All kidding aside, the market looks weak, with significant losses everywhere, but Airlines and Defense stocks.

Thanks to the fucking geeks at BBY, retail is taking a few punches to the scrotum, with notable losses in BKRS, CC, RSH, SHRP and CROX.

As for me, I will seek revenge against the fuckers at BBY.

Finally, it's worth noting, "real stocks" like LNN, MVIS and BWLD are doing very nicely today.

Comments:
BBY..

I still like the stock, although I agree that it is dead money for at least a quarter.

BBY will eventually print $90's within the next 3 years, so I am happy with 90% - 100% return in that time-frame.
 
can't argue with that logic.
 
Based upon the number of center pivot irrigation systems that popped up in my neighborhood since November, I would hazard a guess that LNN is doing pretty well.

Of course, if they miss the Street's fantasy numbers by half a cent, then all bets are off!

As an aside, LNN also may be benefiting from the recent trend of scrap metal collectors stripping copper wire from irrigation systems, thus increasing LNN's maintenance revenue.
 
Dog--

Good insight.

Also, look for Barrier systems (lnn division) to put up good numbers.
 
Dogwood, do you live in a corn or cotton field? Center pivot irrigation!

Fly, my retarded straight-line charts say that $45 is a good buy point for BBY. I think you may have sold near the bottom.

Please don't laser-beam my blog for that comment!!!!!
 
"Will "The Fly" get "machine gunned" again?"

Can we have a Fly Survey for this?
 
Bill--

I'm out of BBY.

However, I kept a little for fun.
 
Bill,

I live in God's country, which is planted in corn and soybeans!

A good farmer friend of mine bought two of LNN's center pivots this winter.

Also, keep an eye on the weather. If the drought continues this year, then LNN will see its sales jump a bunch after the harvest.

Corn prices will go higher and farmers would rather spend profits on equipment than pay taxes.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

 Subscribe in a reader

DISCLAIMER: This is a personal web site, reflecting the opinions of its author. It is not a production of my employer, and it is unaffiliated with any FINRA broker/dealer. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of anyone other than myself. The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only, and are not investing recommendations. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities.