Saturday, September 01, 2007

 

HWAY: Growing Fat and Sick. Just Like Their Patients.

Nashville is a health care town. Many aspects of the health care business are represented here:
Healthways, formerly known as American Healthways, is also based in Nashville. The stock (Ticker:HWAY) has been a real high-flier in recent years. I think the company and the stock are showing signs of weakness. Here's why:
If HWAY is not a take-over candidate, I think it is due for fall. A break below the 50 day moving average would be a short for me.

Here's why I think HWAY is running out of steam and will retest/break below the 50 day:
'With an integrated suite of prevention programs, Axia Health Management is an industry leader in preventive health care by incorporating personalized solutions that help healthy individuals stay healthy and improve the health of those already affected by disease or disability. This is accomplished through a high-touch delivery system of over 10,000 fitness center locations, 3,000 Axia-certified health improvement instructors and over 30,000 health and complementary and alternative medicine providers including personal trainers, massage therapists, nutritionists, acupuncturists and chiropractors. The cornerstone of Axia’s suite of products is the SilverSneakers® Fitness Program, a unique physical activity program offered to nearly three million Medicare-eligible members in 42 states at more than 2,100 fitness centers and class sites."
My professional mentor is a CEO of an financial services firm. He once told me that if you don't trust management, sell the stock tomorrow. Well, I don't trust HWAY's management. I have first hand experience in this regard: I interviewed extensively at the company, up to just shy of the CEO. I was unimpressed with every single executive I met. They were protecting turf. Afraid of the future. You could smell it. I left with a real sense that they were merely trying to get theirs before the gravy train ended. I withdrew my candidacy for the job.

As I write this I have no interest, long or short, in HWAY. It could be acquired. It could hit that $60 target Jefferies projected. I will wait for either more bad news or a break below the 50 day before I short it. Please, do your own due diligence...or you might get the blues.

Larry Carlton is a guitar legend. He lives in the rolling hills outside Nashville. You know his work from countless sessions including work with Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, Billy Joel, and Quincy Jones. Now you know the man:


Comments:
Hmmm... CEO of an investment bank

Kind of thin on the ground down there in Nash Vegas since they blew up JC B'ford and scattered their boys to the wind. And Sun Trust bought and completely screwed up Equitable, which was a nice little firm in tech and healthcare there in the mid-nineties.

You talking about Morgan Keegan?

Massah Mo'gan hisself?
 
I clarified it...maybe not an investment bank. Better described nebulously as financial services.
 
Fly, I believed you mentioned that you like stocks that are flirting with that $100 mark. SU will be there shortly.
 
Crude,
Do you have a reliable site that provides the current short interest in natural gas futures?
 
Larry Carlton--WOW-he's going on MP3 right now. Thanks Boomer.
 
I expect NG to fly during hurricane September.
 
Crude--

I'm long SU from the 60's.
 
Felix cranked it up to a Cat 4 but its only headed for some dirt floor shacks in central america. No oil infrastructure damage.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

 Subscribe in a reader

DISCLAIMER: This is a personal web site, reflecting the opinions of its author. It is not a production of my employer, and it is unaffiliated with any FINRA broker/dealer. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of anyone other than myself. The information on this site is provided for discussion purposes only, and are not investing recommendations. Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities.